Regional Council brings together branches from across the region three times a year, to discuss campaigns, organisation and the current issues affecting our members across the region. We try to ensure delegations reflect the diversity of the union and new people are particularly welcomed.
Annual Elections are held at the Regional Council AGM for a number of strategic committees and regional positions. A ballot will take place at the Regional Council AGM where positions and seats are contested. Where no elections are needed, the results of the nominees automatically elected will be announced at the Regional Council AGM.
– Branches will be able to nominate no more than one person in each category (women, general, low paid) for each of the three strategic committees. Importance will be placed on the need to reflect UNISON values of equality, specifically proportionality and fair representation, as detailed in guidance to branches detailed separately. SOGs are encouraged to put forward nominees via this election process.
Nomination forms and guidance are available for the following committees/ positions.
- Campaigns, Communications and Political Development Strategic Committee
- Development and Organisation Strategic Committee
- Finance and Resources Strategic Committee
- Regional Auditors
- Standing Orders Committee
- TUC Annual Congress
The election timetable is summarised below:-
- Wednesday 9 March – Issue of nomination papers
- Noon, Monday 19 April – closing date for receipt of nominations, election addresses and equal opportunities monitoring form
- Wednesday 27 April – AGM agenda with candidate details to be issued, prior to ballot at AGM
- Wednesday 11 May – Ballots where necessary to take place at Regional Council AGM**where no ballot is required, those automatically elected will be announced at the AGM.
If you’d like to be put forward for one of these positions, or complete a nomination form, which needs to be countersigned by two branch officers, please contact us at the branch office